Sunday, April 20, 2014

Before College: SPM 2013

So, what is SPM? For Malaysian, this probably won't be your question. For those who don't know what it is, let me explain, SPM is Sijil Pendidikan Malaysian, direct translation would be Malaysia Certificate of Education, which is taken by all Malaysia public secondary school students. The paper is equivalent to IGCSE & GCE O-level.

So, up to here you would probably realize that Malaysia's education system is quite similar to those of UK, not to mention we use British English.

The usual number of subjects taken by students are 10, & Malay & History are compulsory to pass(if not, you will not get the certificate).

The exam is usually two months long, which different subjects tested on different days. It is a regular examination that requires students to memorize facts & master the exam techniques, so it's not hard to ace in it as long as you study smart.

Briefly introducing myself, I am a 2013 SPM candidate & the exam results are released on 20th March 2014. I got 9A+, 1A, & an A1 in GCE-O English. My family is totally over the moon. Why? Glad to say that I am the first in the family, both my dad & mom's, to get straight A's.

A little statistics in 2013 SPM results :
of the total of 470,395 candidates,
100 got 12As(0.021%),
2164 got 11As(0.46%),
& 5557 got  10As(1.18%).
* note: A here includes A+, A & A-

So for A+ wise,
7 got 12A+(0.0015%),
90 got 11A+(0.019%),
405 got 10A+ (0.086%),
& 1020 got 9A+(0.22%).

So what subject did I take? I am a science stream student, so aside of the core subjects (Malay, English, Math, History & Moral Studies), I take the three sciences(Biology, Chemistry & Physics) & my school requires everyone to take Additional Math & Chinese (I am from a Chinese public school).