Saturday, May 6, 2017

Out-of-state student life

I got to admit, the education system in Malaysia really gives students a chance to move around the country. You can choose tp study in different places at different stages of your education.

Secondary School --> Pre-University(College) --> University

Born and raised a Penangite, I moved to Subang Jaya when I decided to study at Taylor's College for my A-Level.

It was worthwhile.



1. Living in a new place

Although I am still in the same country, life in different places is different. You get to go to places you never thought of going before, exploring the hidden gems around the corners, basking in a different atmosphere. The pace of Subang Jaya is totally different from Bukit Mertajam. It's faster and noisier. And I like both.

2. Eating new food

Notice: not better food because Penang has the best food. Peace out.
I had a lot of first-food-experience in Subang Jaya. Free vegetarian food, hipster café, huge-sized food, eating the same food for a period of time, fancy waffles and pancakes, etc. SS15 could be considered a college town so there are many food options around. I urge you to try whatever food you can find. I kinda regret not trying everything in Asia Café before I left SS15.

3. Walking. A lot of walking.

Well, didn't bring a car over to Subang Jaya so I can only count on my legs as my main transportation method. I walked 30 minutes to reach the nearest shopping center (groceries, ugh), 30 minutes to the nearest KTM station, 5 - 10 minutes to most of the food outlets. 

4. A lot of fun stuff

There are so many things going around that sometimes it's hard to decide what to do. You will definitely find something that suits you - marathon, color run, music festivals - as long as you are willing to do some researching. 

5. Long distance traveling

A pain in the ass. Because I am still in the country and Malaysia has so many festive holidays, traveling to and fro between Bukit Mertajam and Subang Jaya is common. Most of my friends who lives in the Semenanjung faced the same fate. Bus, train, car, flight, you name it, we've taken it. 

Moving to another place alone has been a fun and challenging experience for me. Although I do miss home now and then, I am grateful for the experience.