Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Breakfast in SS15

In a previous post, I did mention that I chose to come to Taylor's College Subang Jaya (TCSJ) because of its location. TCSJ is located at SS15, a place where you can get everything you need at an affordable price within walking distance. I will be talking about how I have my breakfast during my stay in SS15 (note: the experience might be different for someone else who has different spending power). I usually have my breakfast in my room, but of course, we need variety in life. So, I will be sharing with you some of my common breakfast choices around SS15.


Very Affordable

包点 Bao & Dim Sum
Note: This is non-Halal. There is a 包点 (Chinese steamed buns) truck right in front of My Place (a student hostel). My top choices are its 菜包 (vegetable bun), 肉包 (meat bun) and 叉烧包 (char siew bun). I often buy them when I need a quick bite before class. Sometimes I buy its 烧卖 (pork dumplings) too. Everything will be placed into a plastic bag so you can take-and-go.
Price range: RM1 - RM5, depending on what you ordered and how many you ordered. This is not the actual pau from the pau truck, I just got it from the internet so that you can look at it.

Nasi Lemak
If I have more time, I might buy nasi lemak for breakfast. There are a few nasi lemak stalls right at Jalan SS15/8 (the street where the school is).
Price Range: RM2.50 - RM4, depending on what dishes you add into the packet. These are not the pre-packed nasi lemaks.

1. The one opposite of Starbucks 
This stall is run by an old Mak Cik. Mak Cik doesn't have a regular schedule, and she hasn't been coming lately. I prefer hers over the other stall because of the rich sambal sauce. Her rice is quite lemak and fragrant. You can choose the side dishes you like, but for me, I always go for the rice-egg-cucumber-sambal combination. Occasionally, she also sells fried bihun. Mak Cik's food is a little pricey, but still reasonable. 

2. The one opposite of Inti's security guard house
This stall is run by a Malay couple. Although the food is a little cheaper than the previous one, I am not much of a fan. The sambal is too oily for me. Of course, different people would have different opinions of it, some of my friends love their food. The couple would sometimes sell fried noodles, bihun, and even kuay teow. 

3. The one in Asia Cafe, opposite to the sushi store
This one is hands down one of my most visited nasi lemak stores. It is not widely known because of its location. Everything here is so lemak I feel that I just swallowed coconut milk directly, but I love it because of that. The level of lemak-ness in the rice: 10/10. The sauce is all really rich. I would ask them to add their rendang sauce onto the rice. Their fried chicken is also on point, with the skin deeply fried and the meat marinated just nice. (But I don't usually order the chicken because of the price).

Mamak
There are quite a few morning Mamak stalls near to the college SS15: Mamak Penang101, Silva, Darussalam, the one in Asia Cafe, etc. I don't usually do mamak for breakfast, but when I do, it's definitely at Restaurant Darussalam (or the one in Asia Cafe when I am lazy).

You need to walk a little to reach Darussalam from TCSJ. I will either have their roti kosong or roti telur bawang, with a glass of limau ice. They serve their roti with dhal, curry (usually fish), and sambal.
Price Range: RM1.50 - RM3, depending on what you order.

Sometimes I also head down to the Mamak stall at Asia Cafe to get some mee goreng, but very rarely. 

Okay-ish

On certain holidays (or when I have some extra money to spare), I would go for something more expensive (above RM 4).

Sandwich 
I love sandwiches, and I usually get them from RT cafe. They have a few breakfast bundle promotions that give you discounts if you buy certain food with a Vita soy. I always take the sandwich + Vita soy (original/malt) combo.
Price Range: RM5 - RM6. 


Fast Food Breakfast 
1. McDonald's
My all-time favorite: Sausage McMuffin with Egg. I usually take the set meal because I love the hashbrown. Sometimes if I feel like getting something more fancy, then I'll go for Big Breakfast.
With loads of Ketchup.

2. Subway
For breakfast, I usually take Chicken Slice and Egg with Hot Milo.

Fancy

Western
1. Peppercorn
Peppercorn serves wholesome western breakfast - the usual toast, sausage and egg combination. You get to choose from your style of egg, sausage/ham, and drinks. It's a very warm environment. Always a great choice when you have time to relax and enjoy your breakfast. I only go to Peppercorn if I have time since I need to walk quite a while to reach there.
I love Big Breakfast to the point that I would eat it for lunch or even dinner.

2. Brooklyn B Bagel
I never had a bagel for breakfast before, but if you love bagels, you could have them here.

If you want to go even fancier than this (e.g.,. Egg Benedicts with Salmon), you probably can't get it around SS15. Head over to Bangsar and you can find all sort of varieties.

Of course, there are many more options around Subang Jaya area and these are just the few that I recommend. Go out and explore!